Breaded Five Cheese Cannelloni
Serve these savory, breaded and deep-fried cheese cannelloni with a dipping sauce of marinara. Recipe by Chef John Brown.
1/4 pound Italian sausage
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup (8 ounces) Wisconsin Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Mascarpone cheese
3 tablespoons crumbled Wisconsin Fontina cheese
2 tablespoons shredded Wisconsin Mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon hot cherry peppers, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh basil, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
36 wonton wrappers or egg roll skins
2 large eggs
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons grated Wisconsin Parmesan cheese
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups dry bread crumbs
Oil, for deep frying
Marinara sauce for dipping
- In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Let sausage cool.
- Combine all cheeses except Parmesan, cherry peppers, basil and pepper. Add sausage mixture and spinach; mix thoroughly.
- Brush outer edges of each wonton wrapper with water. Spread 1 rounded teaspoon cheese filling onto each wrapper, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll up each wrapper, sealing edge; pinch ends together, enclosing filling.
- Beat eggs; blend in water and Parmesan cheese.
- Coat each cannelloni with flour, then egg mixture, then bread crumbs. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Deep fry in 350°F (175°C) oil for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper; sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Makes 36 appetizer servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.