Caramelized Carnitas Tidbits
These tantalizing little bites of caramelized pork are a real crowd-pleaser and will disappear fast.
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds boneless pork shoulder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1/2 cup water
Juice of 1/2 lime
2 medium green onions, thinly sliced diagonally for garnish
- Cut pork into 1-inch cubes.
- Over medium heat, heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the cubed pork. (Do not overcrowd the skillet, If necessary add pork in small batches to brown, moving it to the side of the skillet to add the next batch until all is browned.)
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the green onions. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the pork is slightly caramelized, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer onto a serving platter and sprinkle with the juice of 1/2 a lime and the sliced green onions. Serve with colorful wooden cocktail picks.
Makes 10 to 12 appetizer servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe using 1 1/2 pounds pork): 183.6 calories; 54% calories from fat; 10.8g total fat; 55.7mg cholesterol; 248.3mg sodium; 334.6mg potassium; 4.9g carbohydrates; 0.1g fiber; 3.9g sugar; 4.8g net carbs; 16.0g protein.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe using 1 3/4 pounds pork): 208.9 calories; 54% calories from fat; 12.4g total fat; 65.0mg cholesterol; 258.0mg sodium; 381.2mg potassium; 4.9g carbohydrates; 0.1g fiber; 3.9g sugar; 4.8g net carbs; 18.6g protein.