Caramelized Onion Tartlets
These sweet and savory onion tartlets will round out your party menu.
1 to 2 large sweet onions (such as Vidalia), chopped (3 cups)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup water
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk *
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4-ounces)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 (2 crust) package ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust, room temperature
- In large skillet, cook and stir onions, brown sugar and oil for 3 minutes. Add water; cook and stir until onions are tender and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together eggs, milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in onion mixture; set aside.
- Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut pie crusts into rounds. Place in medium muffin cups, shaping to fit bottom and about 1/2-inch up the side of each cup. Spoon about 2 tablespoons onion mixture into each pie crust cup.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 20 minutes or until knife inserted in center of tartlet comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups for 5 minutes; remove from pans.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 30 to 32 tartlets.
*For extra richness, substitute heavy (whipping) cream.
Tailgate Tip: Bake and refrigerate these tarts up to 1 day ahead. Reheat them on a grill at the tailgate party.
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.