Caraway Corn Bread with Spicy Jam
Caraway flavored corn bread rounds are served topped with a sweet and spicy apricot and bacon jam.
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 6 pieces
2 tablespoons room temperature butter or bacon drippings
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs, separated
1 tablespoon butter or bacon grease for greasing pan
4 thick bacon slices
3/4 cup dried apricots, cut into very thin strips
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup apricot jam
2 teaspoons minced fresh, seeded jalapeño chili
Garnish: fresh chives, either short sprigs or thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Prepare the corn bread: In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process cornmeal, flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, caraway seeds and salt until blended, about 20 seconds. Add cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles course meal. Add 2 tablespoons room temperature butter or bacon drippings and pulse until just blended. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Place empty 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan in oven.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolks and buttermilk. Pour into cornmeal mixture and stir to blend. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff and glossy. Fold into cornmeal mixture in 2 additions.
- Remove baking pan from oven and brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter or bacon drippings. Pour batter into pan and bake in preheated oven for about 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Transfer to a wire rack and cool slightly. Loosen edges with a sharp knife and invert on cutting board. Using a 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut corn bread into rounds.
- Prepare the jam: In a small skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towel, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Combine dried apricots and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil; boil until water evaporates, about 8 minutes. Add jam and 1 tablespoon drippings. Cook, stirring frequently, until jam dissolves. Add bacon and jalapeños. Cool to room temperature.
- To serve, top each corn bread round with a dollop of jam and garnish with fresh chives.
Makes 35 to 40 rounds.