Chafing Dish Chicken Wings
These tasty wings served in a sweet and sour sauce make a winner of an appetizer.
15 broiler-fryer chicken wings
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Sweet and Sour Sauce (recipe follows)
- Make marinade by mixing together soy sauce, lemon juice, canola oil, honey, garlic and hot pepper sauce; stir until honey is dissolved.
- Place chicken wings on cutting board; cut and discard (or save for stock) wing tips. Cut remaining wing into two sections at joint, making 30 drummettes.
- Place chicken in bowl and pour soy-honey mixture over all; cover and marinate in refrigerator overnight.
- Arrange chicken drummettes in single layer on baking pan; pour marinade over chicken.
- Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for about 20 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender, basting several times with marinade during cooking.
- Place chicken in chafing dish, reserving marinade for making sauce.
- Pour Sweet and Sour Sauce over wings and keep warm in chafing dish.
Makes 30 servings.
Sweet and Sour Sauce: In saucepan, pour marinade remaining after chicken has cooked. Add 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple cubes (drained but juice retained), 1 green pepper cut into cubes, 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 cup chicken broth. Slowly bring to a boil. In small bowl, mix together until smooth 4 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice. Stir mixture into liquids in saucepan and boil until thickened and smooth, about 2 minutes.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.