Brewer's yeast adds a cheese-like flavor to this popcorn snack without adding calories or fat.
2 tablespoons garlic flavored or vegetable oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1 tablespoon melted butter (optional)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast or brewer’s yeast*
1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot (with a lid), place oil and about 3 popcorn kernels.
- Heat over medium-high heat until a kernel pops. Add remaining popcorn; cover.
- Once corn begins to pop, shake pot constantly over heat.
- When popping slows, remove pot from heat and transfer popcorn to a serving bowl.
- Pour butter over popcorn, if desired, and toss.
- Sprinkle yeast and curry powder, if desired, over popcorn and toss to distribute evenly.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container.
Makes 10 (1 cup) servings.
*Found at health food stores and most major supermarkets.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.