For crispier crab cakes, don't overcrowd the pan when frying.
1 large egg
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/4 cup chopped pimiento, drained
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, if desired
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 dashes hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound lump crab meat, picked over
3/4 cup finely crushed soda crackers - divided use
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Lemon wedges as an accompaniment
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, pimiento, parsley, seafood seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, pepper and salt. Add the crab meat and 1/4 cup cracker crumbs; toss mixture gently.
- Spread the remaining 1/2 cup cracker crumbs on a plate.
- Form the crab mixture using a 1/3-cup measure into eight 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Coat the top and bottoms of each patty carefully with the cracker crumbs, transferring the crab cakes as they are formed to a sheet of wax paper.
- In a large skillet heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat until the foam subsides.
- Sauté the crab cakes, in small batches, for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden, transferring them as they are cooked to a heated platter.
- Serve the crab cakes with the lemon wedges.
Makes 8 crab cakes.