Cranberry-Relish Popcorn Balls
A sweet cranberry orange relish syrup is the binder for these autumn-festive candied popcorn balls.
2 cups granulated sugar
1 (10-ounce) package (1 cup) frozen cranberry-orange relish
1/2 cup cranberry juice
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon cider or white distilled vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 quarts unsalted popped popcorn
- Combine all ingredients, except popcorn, in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and cook to 250°F (120°C) on a candy thermometer.
- Mixture will bubble up in pan, so watch to keep from boiling over.
- Pour slowly onto hot popcorn and mix until well-coated.
- Let stand 5 minutes or until mixture can easily be formed into balls.
- Butter hands and form into 3-inch balls. Cool.
- When cooled, wrap each popcorn ball individually in plastic wrap or for a festive touch, in cellophane and decorate, if desired, with ribbon or raffia.
Makes 18 popcorn balls.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.