Cremé de Caviar
This elegant caviar appetizer is sure to impress sophisticated palates.
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup (8-ounces) sour cream
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3.5-ounces black lumpfish caviar
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream
2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped fine
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely minced
Toast Points and fresh crudités as accompaniments
- Place cream cheese into a large bowl and cream with electric mixer until softened.
- Stir in 1 cup sour cream, onion, caviar, salt, and pepper, and mix until well blended.
- Shape into a mound on a serving platter.
- Cover the mound with the 1/2 cup sour cream. Sprinkle to cover with finely chopped egg and top with parsley.
- Chill in refrigerator for several hours before serving.
- Serve with toast points and crudités.
Makes 8 to 10 appetizer servings.
Note: When serving caviar, proper serving utensils are designed to reduce damage to the roe and ultimately, its taste. Such utensils are traditionally made mother-of-pearl, wood, porcelain, glass, ivory, horn and gold. They are not absolutely necessary but like a good wine glass they can help bring out full appreciation. Serving caviar with metals that oxidize easily (such as silver) have been known to impart a metallic taste and thus are not preferred by very serious aficionados.