Florida Clams Casino
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
12 middleneck Florida clams, shucked (reserve bottom shells)
4 slices lean bacon, chopped fine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1/2 cup Florida onion, chopped
1 Florida garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup Florida red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup Florida green bell pepper, finely diced
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Rock salt for lining the pan and platter
- In a heavy skillet, cook chopped bacon over med. heat until browned. Remove to absorbent paper to drain. Wipe skillet clean.
- Over low heat, cook onion, garlic, bell peppers and oregano in olive oil until peppers are crisp-tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl. Stir in chopped bacon, vinegar, Parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper to taste.
- In a 15x10x1-inch jellyroll pan filled with a layer of rock salt to balance the shells, arrange clam meat on the reserved shells.
- Top each clam with the bell pepper mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (205°C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve clams on a platter lined with a layer of rock salt.
Makes 12 appetizer servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 528; Calories From Fat: 390; Total Fat: 42g; Saturated Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 84mg; Total Carbs: 12g; Protein: 24g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.