Fresh Mozzarella with Prosciutto (Ciliegine con Prosciutto)
A classic Italian appetizer.
1 fresh lemon
1 large garlic clove, finely minced
2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
9 ounces fresh mozzarella cherries* or fresh mozzarella
15 thin prosciutto slices (6-ounces)
1 medium bunch fresh dill
- Squeeze lemon juice into a medium bowl.
- Peel and crush garlic and add to the lemon juice along with the chives, olive oil, and red pepper flakes.
- Drain and add cheese "cherries" or cut mozzarella into 3/4-inch cubes and add to the mixture.
- Marinate at room temperature at least 2 hours.
- Cut prosciutto slices in half lengthwise. Wrap 1 slice of prosciutto around each piece of cheese and 1 small sprig of dill.
- Secure with a wooden pick to serve.
Makes 30 servings.
*Small, cherry-sized balls of cow's milk mozzarella, packed in sealed plastic containers are available in the dairy section of many supermarkets or speciality stores.