Fried Frog Legs
Popular fare in southern Louisiana, many claim that fried frog legs taste just like chicken.
2 pounds frog legs
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- Arrange frog legs in a shallow container.
- Combine eggs, mayonnaise, cornstarch, lemon juice, baking powder, salt and pepper; stir until smooth. Pour over frog legs; cover and chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Combine flour and bread crumbs in a plastic bag.
- Remove legs from marinade, shaking off excess; place 2 or 3 legs at a time in flour mixture. Close bag securely; shake until legs are well coated.
- Pour oil to depth of 2 to 3-inches into a Dutch oven or deep-fat fryer and heat to 375°F (190°C).
- Fry a few legs at a time for 1 to 2 minutes or until dark golden brown; drain on paper towels.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.