Fried Stuffed Baby Artichokes
Recipe courtesy of California Artichoke Advisory Board.
2 pounds (12 to 16) baby artichokes
2 slices lemon, plus juice of lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped cooked ham
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying
Plain yogurt (optional)
- Bend back outer green petals until they snap off easily near the base. Continue to snap off and discard petals until central core of pale green petals is reached. Cut stem to within 1/2 inch of bottom. Brush or dip in lemon juice. Place artichokes and lemon slices in saucepan. Cover with water; cook 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well and cool.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until softened. Stir in ham and heat thoroughly. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour over mixture. Cook and stir 1 minutes
- Add milk all at once; cook and stir until thickened. Add cheese, salt and ground black pepper.
- Gently remove inner petals from center of artichokes. Fill cavity of each artichoke with ham mixture.
- Beat large egg with 1 tablespoon water. Place 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip top half of filled artichoke in flour, then large egg mixture, then bread crumbs. Fry in 2 inches of oil at 375°F (190°C), a few at a time, about 1 1/2 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
Makes 6 servings.
Tips: Artichokes can be filled, dipped and refrigerated several hours in advance. Artichokes can be fried ahead of time and reheated in oven or microwave.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Artichoke Advisory Board.