Gorgonzola Bacon Polenta Bites
Slices of baked polenta are topped with a sweet onion, walnut and dried cherry compote, crisp bacon and a slice of gorgonzola cheese.
24 (1/2-inch thick) slices of polenta from a prepared roll
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
8 slices bacon, cut into 2-inch long strips and cooked
6 ounces Wisconsin Creamy Gorgonzola cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Arrange polenta slices on a baking sheet, and bake 5 to 7 minutes per side, until hot.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over low heat. Add onion and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add walnuts, cherries, brown sugar, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook 8 to 10 minutes more, until onions are caramelized.
- Top each polenta bite with a bacon slice, 1 tablespoon onion mixture and a slice of Wisconsin Gorgonzola cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 24 appetizer servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.