Holiday Cheese Baubles
These little asiago cheese-topped cheese pastry puffs are bound to be a party appetizer favorite.
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
1 3/4 cups (7 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Asiago cheese - divided use
- In 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, combine water, butter and salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Add flour, stirring constantly, until dough forms a ball and leaves sides of pan. Remove from heat.
- With wooden spoon or mixer, beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth and glossy.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
- Drop by scant tablespoonfuls onto buttered cookie sheet. Onto each dough ball lightly press a little of the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes or until evenly browned.
- Remove puffs from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F (150°C) .
- Prick each puff with toothpick to release steam. Return to oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet; cool on wire racks.
Makes 50 appetizer servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.