Homemade Corn Chips
These easy-to-make homemade corn chips are ideal to serve with salsas, dips, chili, soups, sandwiches or simply as a crispy, crunchy snack.
A Family-Favorites Recipe.
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1 cup yellow cornmeal*
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Generously grease 2 large cookie sheets (see Cook's Note) with the shortening and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cornmeal into each pan, gently tapping or shaking to distribute cornmeal evenly; set aside
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and nonfat dry milk in a mixing bowl.
- In a glass measure, combine the water, oil and Worcestershire sauce, mixing well.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour the liquid mixture into the well; stir mixture with a fork to mix well.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until dough is smooth, about 1 minute.
- Divide the dough in half and place each dough half on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough directly onto the cookie sheets to spread very thinly, about 1/16-inch thickness.
- Sprinkle lightly with the desired seasonings and roll-over lightly with the rolling pin to press seasonings in.
- Using a pizza cutter (or very sharp knife), cut dough into squares, triangles or other desired shapes.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool completely on cookie sheets.
- Store tightly sealed to retain crispness.
Makes approximately 12 ounces of chips.
*White cornmeal can be used, but chips will be lighter in color.
Tip: Because you will be rolling the dough inside the pans, it is best to use the flat, side-less cookie sheets in this recipe. If such pans are not available, then turn over sided baking/cookie sheets and use the bottoms.
Nutritional Facts Per Serving (1/12 portion of chips): 112.7 calories; 37% calories from fat; 4.8g total fat; 0.2mg cholesterol; 208.8mg sodium; 51.9mg potassium; 15.1g carbohydrates; 1.0g fiber; 0.7g sugar; 14.0g net carbs; 2.2g protein.