Jack Bola de Queso
A delicious cheese ball made with Mexican seasonings, crushed tortilla chips, pepper Jack, cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
1 1/2 cups tortilla chips (plain, jalapeño, ranch or salsa flavored)
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded pepper Jack* cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 ounces cream cheese, cut in chunks and at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon Mexican hot sauce, to taste (optional)
2 tablespoons grated white onion
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1/4 cup finely chopped Spanish olives with pimiento
Fresh cilantro, red jalapeño slices, or additional olives (optional), for garnish
Tortilla chips or crackers
- Place the tortilla chips in the bowl of a food processor. Process to fine crumbs. Pour on waxed paper and set aside.
- Place the pepper Jack, cheddar, cream cheese, and hot sauce in the bowl of a food processor. Process until well-blended and smooth. Add the onion and oregano. Pulse briefly to incorporate. Add a little half-and-half, if the mixture is too stiff. (You may also use a heavy-duty electric mixer to make the cheese mixture.)
- Stir in the olives or work in with your hands. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Form the mixture into a ball. Roll the ball in the tortilla crumbs. Garnish with fresh cilantro, slices of red jalapeños and/or additional olives.
- Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
Makes 30 servings.
Variation: Use salsa Jack (for a milder ball), or chipotle or habanero Jack (for a hotter ball.) If using chipotle Jack, replace the Spanish olives with ripe black olives.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.