Lamb and Feta Pastries
Recipe courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 cup crumbled or chopped feta cheese
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 package of phyllo (filo) pastry, thawed
Melted butter (for brushing)
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until onion is transparent. Add ground lamb and increase heat. Cook, stirring
- regularly, until meat is well browned. Cool slightly. Add the herbs and feta, stir well and season to taste. (If the filling
- seems a little dry, you may wish to stir in a spoonful of tomato puree).
- Arrange the pastry in two stacks and cut each stack into three, length-ways. (Each strip should contain several layers of
- phyllo). Brush every second or third strip with melted butter. Starting at one end, position a spoonful of the filling and fold
- phyllo into triangles or rectangular pillows, as desired. Brush the outer layer with butter.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (205°C) oven until golden brown.
Makes 12 appetizer servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.