Mini Meatball Appetizers with Apricot Dipping Sauce
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 pound 96% lean ground beef
1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
2 large egg whites or 1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup apricot preserves
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- For Mini Meatballs: Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, large egg whites, water, salt and ground black pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 36 (1 1/4-inch) meatballs. Place on rack in broiler pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 15 to 17 minutes.
- For Sauce: Heat preserves, barbecue sauce and mustard in medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add cooked meatballs and continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until meatballs are heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve or keep warm in slow cooker*.
Makes 9 appetizer servings.
*To keep meatballs warm, place in a 2 1/2-quart slow cooker set on Low. Keep covered to maintain heat. Meatballs can be held up to 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (4 meatballs): Calories: 179; Total Fat: 2g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 29mg; Total Carbs: 29g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 11g; Sodium: 126mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.