Nacho Mamma's Popcorn
It's okay, indulge yourself with this spicy low-fat popcorn snack. The brewer's yeast adds a cheese-like flavor to this snack without adding calories or fat.
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce - divided use
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons butter
Sea salt to taste
- Place oil in large, heavy-bottomed pot (with a lid). Add about 3 popcorn kernels.
- Heat over medium-high heat until a kernel pops. Add remaining popcorn; cover.
- Once corn begins to pop, shake pot constantly over heat.
- When popping slows, remove pot from heat and transfer popcorn to a large bowl.
- Place nutritional yeast and garlic powder in small bowl. Slowly add 1/2 teaspoon of the cayenne pepper sauce, a few drops at a time, stirring with fork to blend it very well.
- Melt butter and mix in remaining ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper sauce. Pour mixture over popcorn, and toss.
- Sprinkle nutritional yeast mixture over popcorn and toss to distribute evenly.
- Add salt to taste. If you like an even hotter and spicier taste, sprinkle on a dried cayenne pepper spice blend to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
Makes 2 1/2 quarts; 10 (1 cup) servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.