An elegant, yet simple appetizer, toasted baguette slices are topped with prosciutto and honey-glazed apple slices.
4 Fuji apples
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey
32 (1/2-inch thick) slices baguette (about 2-inches diameter)
Olive-oil flavored cooking spray
16 very thin slices prosciutto ham (about 10 ounces)
Fresh sage, for garnish
- Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 16 wedges.
- In large nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm oil and sauté apples 3 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Add vinegar and cook 3 minutes or until most of the vinegar is evaporated.
- Add honey and increase heat to high. When honey bubbles, stir gently for 1 minute until apples are soft.
- Allow apples to cool in honey syrup.
- With a slotted spoon remove apples; discard syrup.
- Heat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Arrange bread slices on wire rack over cookie sheet. Spray both sides of bread with cooking spray; bake 6 minutes or until edges of bread are golden brown.
- Remove and arrange on serving platter.
- Immediately before serving, cut each prosciutto slice into 2x1-inch strips. Place one slice of prosciutto on each toast; top with two apple slices. Garnish with fresh sage.
Makes 32 slices.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Honey Board.