Perfectly caramelized onions make up the savory filling inside this appetizer 'pie' with an appealing lattice-top.
5 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts (or your own pastry recipe)
Pimiento-stuffed olives for garnish
- Sauté onion in butter in a large skillet over low heat for 45 minutes to an hour or until golden in color. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Unfold 1 pie crust, and roll to press out fold lines. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet; roll to a 13-inch circle.
- Spoon onion mixture onto piecrust, leaving a 1-inch border; lightly brush border with water.
- Roll remaining pie crust to press out fold lines; cut into 1/2-inch strips. Arrange in a lattice design over filling; fold edges up over lattice, pressing to seal. Place olives in some of lattice openings.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) on lower oven rack for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or room temperature.
Makes 8 to 10 appetizer servings.