For best results, don't over-crowd the pan when frying these tasty oyster fritters.
1 quart shucked oysters, chopped and liquor reserved
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup pancake mix
1 large egg
1/4 cup (2 ounces) half-and-half
Vegetable oil or shortening, for frying
- Mix together the egg, salt, pepper, baking powder, and pancake mix, add half and half and stir until smooth.
- Add the chopped oysters and liquor and mix well.
- In an iron, or heavy skillet, heat enough oil or shortening to so that it measures about 1/2-inch deep.
- Drop the batter by spoonfuls in the hot shortening, cook until golden brown, turning over once.
- Serve hot with cocktail sauce or desired condiment.
Makes 10 to 12 fritters.