Pecan Cheese Turnovers
Serve these chicken and cream cheese filled turnovers as an appetizer or as an entrée.
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon, hot
2 tablespoon milk, hot
1/4 cup chicken breast, cooked and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon white wine
1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Colby Cheese, shredded
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, well chilled, cut up
1 1/2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 tablespoons pecans, finely chopped
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
- For Filling: Melt butter; sauté onions, celery and mushrooms until tender. Stir in flour to make a roux. Gradually add bouillon and milk to roux, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened. Add chicken, parsley, wine and Colby cheese; stir to blend.
- For Pastry Crust: Place flour, butter and cream cheese in food processor; pulse until mixture resembles cornmeal. Run machine until dough forms ball. Place dough on lightly floured surface; knead in pecans.
- On floured surface, roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into 4 inch rounds. Place one rounded tablespoon chicken mixture on half of each round. Fold dough over and seal edges with a fork.
- Beat eggs and milk well; brush on turnovers.
- Bake, in a conventional oven at 375°F (190°C) for 10 to 15 minutes, or in a convection oven at 325°F (160°C) for 7 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- To garnish, top with additional shredded Wisconsin Colby cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.