Pizza with Stilton and Caramelized Onions
Pizza topped with caramelized onions, crumbled Stilton cheese and fresh rosemary -- a pizza with sophisticated tastes.
3 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 very large (or 2 medium) onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 1/4 cups dry white wine - divided use
1/2 cup sherry wine vinegar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 (12-inch in diameter) baked pizza crust
3 ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- Fifteen minutes before baking, adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and garlic in a small bowl; set aside.
- Melt butter with 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven or skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion, 3/4 cup wine, vinegar and sugar. Boil until almost all liquid evaporates, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add 1 cup more wine, 1/2 cup at a time, boiling until liquid evaporates after each addition. Add 1/2 cup wine, and cook until onions are brown and mixture is syrupy, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush crust with garlic oil. Cut into squares or diamonds approximately 2-inches each. Arrange on large baking sheet. Divide onion mixture on top. Top with crumbled cheese and rosemary.
- Bake until cheese melts and crust is crispy, about 12 minutes.
Makes 10 servings.