Queso Blanco with Roasted Tomato Sauce
Grilled squares of queso blanco cheese topped with a roasted tomato sauce. Serve with fresh hot tortillas or crisp tortilla chips.
Roasted Tomato Sauce:
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes*
2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 jalapeño chile
Salt, to taste
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (12-ounce) square or package Wisconsin Queso Blanco, cut horizontally in three pieces (4 ounces each)
Fresh hot tortillas or tortilla chips
- For Sauce: Place tomatoes in bowl of a food processor or beaker of blender.
- Heat heavy skillet, such as cast iron, until very hot. Place garlic cloves and jalapeño in skillet. Grill until "roasted" and skin turns black in places, turning as necessary.
- Peel garlic and chop roughly. Add to tomatoes.
- Cut jalapeño in half. Stem and seed. Roughly chop half the jalapeño. Add to tomatoes. Blend, leaving a rough texture. Taste for salt, adding some if necessary. Add more chopped reserved jalapeño if a hotter flavor is preferred. Stir in oregano.
- Heat olive oil in medium skillet until hot. Add sauce (it will splatter). Stir and cook at low boil for about 5 minutes until it thickens and reduces slightly. Keep warm.
- For Cheese: Heat large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly grill cheese slices until golden brown on all sides, a total of 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove to serving plates and spoon warm sauce over each slice.
- Serve with fresh hot tortillas or crisp tortilla chips.
Makes 8 servings.
*Several brands make fire-roasted tomatoes, including Progresso and Muir Glen.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.