Shrimp Mojito Tapas with
Honey Red Pepper Mint Dressing Saladette
This tantalizing, Spanish-style shrimp appetizer makes an elegant first course.
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
3/4 cup fresh mint
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves only
Pinch sea salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons red bell peppers, finely minced
1/2 of a large Spanish onion, quartered
1 tablespoon pickling spice, wrapped and tied in cheesecloth
1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
1 dozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/2 cups frisee lettuce, washed and roughly chopped
6 large radicchio leaves
- Combine in a blender the honey, lemon juice, garlic, mint, cilantro leaves and salt. Pulse until bended. Drizzle in the oil. Fold in the red peppers. Refrigerate.
- In a large pot, combine the onion, pickling spice and chopped cilantro with 3 quarts of water. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes to flavor the water.
- Add the shrimp, cover and cook for about 3 1/2 minutes until the shrimp are cooked.
- Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon and plunge them into an ice bath until they cool. Drain the shrimp.
- In a bowl, toss the shrimp with 1/2 of the dressing and in another bowl, toss the frisee with the other half of the dressing.
- Place the radicchio leaves on large chilled plates. Fill each leaf half way with frisee and top with 2 shrimp each.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Honey Board.