Smoky Cilantro Pesto Beef Crostini
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Smoky Cilantro Pesto:
3 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
2 small chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated cotija cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
2 beef shoulder center (ranch cut) steaks
24 slices baguette bread, cut diagonally 1/2-inch thick
1/4 cup grated cotija cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Prepare Smoky Cilantro Pesto: Place cilantro, pine nuts, chipotle peppers, garlic, lime juice and black pepper in food processor container. Cover; process until finely chopped. Add cheese; pulse on and off until just combined. With motor running, slowly add oil through opening in cover, processing until smooth. Remove 1/4 cup pesto; cover and refrigerate remaining pesto.
- Spread the 1/4 cup pesto evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks in glass dish. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Arrange 12 bread slices around steaks.
- Grill steaks, covered, 11 to 14 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
- Grill bread slices 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Remove bread slices from grill. Repeat with remaining 12 bread slices.
- To Assemble: Spread 2 teaspoons remaining pesto on each toasted bread slice. Carve steaks into thin slices. Place beef slices evenly over bread slices. Top evenly with 1/4 cup cheese and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
Makes 24 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): Calories: 148; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 13mg; Total Carbs: 11g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 6g; Sodium: 136mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.