Sopes From Ortega
These mini-sopes make terrific party food.
1 (18-ounce) package prepared polenta
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 (15-ounce) can ORTEGA Refried Beans (any style)
1 1/4 cups ORTEGA Thick & Chunky Medium Salsa
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ORTEGA Thick & Smooth Mild Taco Sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 cup shredded lettuce
- Slice the polenta in half. Slice each half into six rounds, about 1/2 inch thick, so you have 12 rounds total.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Gently slide each polenta round into hot oil using a spatula.
- Fry for 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined sheet tray.
- In a medium bowl, combine refried beans, salsa, and 2 teaspoons hot taco sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, remaining hot taco sauce, and lime juice and mix until well blended.
- Spread 2 tablespoons mashed bean mixture on top of a fried polenta round.
- Top with a pinch of shredded lettuce and about 1 tablespoon of the salsa, and drizzle with some of the sour cream mixture.
Makes 12 sopes.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Ortega and B&G Foods, Inc.