Spicy Cocktail Sausage Rounds
Your guests will love these spicy sausage cocktail meatballs served in an Asian-style apricot sauce made with apricot preserves, honey mustard, hoisin sauce and fresh gingerroot.
1 large egg, beaten
1 pound fresh bulk spicy sausage
1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 (7-ounce) can water chestnuts, well drained and finely minced
2 teaspoons peeled and finely minced fresh gingerroot
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1 tablespoon honey mustard
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon peeled and finely minced fresh gingerroot
- In a medium bowl, beat egg well. Add sausage, bread crumbs, onion, water chestnuts and 2 teaspoons gingerroot.
- Form into 1-inch balls. Place balls on a wire rack in a baking sheet with 1-inch sides.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 20 minutes or until the sausage is no longer pink. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a slow cooker, mix together preserves, mustard, hoisin sauce and 1 tablespoon gingerroot. Stir well over LOW setting.
- Add cooked and drained sausage rounds to apricot mixture in slow cooker. Stir well to coat with apricot sauce. Cover with lid and cook on LOW setting for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm.
Makes about 3 dozen.
Recipe provided courtesy National Hot Dog And Sausage Council.