Spinach-Cheese Bagel Bites
These spinach and cheese stuffed bagel bites are as easy to make as they are tasty.
4 one-day-old bagels
4 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed, chopped (about 4 cups)
1 cup shredded provolone cheese
3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/3 cup minced onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Split bagels in half horizontally. With a grapefruit spoon, hollow out some of the bread*.
- Place spinach in microwaveable bowl; sprinkle lightly with water. Cover loosely and microwave on high until spinach is wilted, about 1 minute, 20 seconds. Remove and drain well.
- Combine spinach, cheeses and remaining ingredients, except bagels.
- Place bagel shells on foil-lined baking sheet. Place about 1/4 cup cheese mixture on each bagel.
- Bake bagel until cheese has melted and edges are lightly toasted, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cut each bagel half into quarters to make a total of 32 pieces.
Makes 32 appetizers.
*Bagel crumbs can be discarded or saved for use as bread crumbs or croutons.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Dairy Association.