Spinach, Bean and Cheese Phyllo Pie
Some extra work is required in making this layers-of-phyllo pie with spinach, beans and assorted cheeses, but the end result is worth the effort.
Butter-flavor cooking spray
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 (15-ounce) packages reduced-fat ricotta cheese, room temperature
1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat Feta cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 (10-ounce each) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well-drained
2 (15-ounce each) cans Pinto or Navy beans or 3 cups cooked dry-packaged Pinto or Navy beans, rinsed, drained, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
Generous pinch ground nutmeg
2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and ground pepper, to taste
2 large eggs
6 sheets frozen, thawed phyllo pastry
- Spray small skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Sauté onion and garlic until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Mix cheeses in bowl; stir in onion mixture, spinach, beans, dill weed, and nutmeg; season to taste with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix in eggs.
- Cut phyllo pastry crosswise into halves. Spray bottom of 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray; place 1 phyllo sheet in pan and spray generously with cooking spray. Repeat with 5 more sheets of phyllo.
- Spread spinach mixture evenly over phyllo. Place 1 sheet phyllo over cheese mixture and spray generously with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining 5 phyllo sheets.
- Score top layers of phyllo with sharp knife to make 8 servings.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF (175ºC) until phyllo is golden, 50 to 60 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Bean Education & Awareness Network.