Sweet & Spicy Walnuts
Set a bowl of these sweet, spicy and crunchy walnuts out for your guests to munch on, or make a few extra batches as gifts that will be welcomed.
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon water
4 cups California Walnut halves, about 1 pound
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In large bowl, whisk together egg white and water until foamy; add walnuts and mix until all nuts are coated; drain excess liquid.
- In small bowl, combine sugar, salt, cumin, cayenne pepper and garlic powder.
- Stir dry ingredients into walnuts until evenly coated.
- Spread walnuts on non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake in 325°F (160°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring twice, until nuts are lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet. (Nuts will become dry and crispy as they cool.) Store in air-tight container.
Makes about 4 cups.
Recipe provided courtesy California Walnuts.