Tapas-Style Pepper-Steak "Parfaits"
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Marinade and Dressing:
1/2 cup reduced fat prepared olive oil vinaigrette
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 beef shoulder center steaks (ranch), cut 3/4-inch thick (about 8-ounce each)
2 medium red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
6 slices (1/4-inch thick) baguette bread, cut diagonally about 5-inch long
1 clove garlic
Salt and ground black pepper
2 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup chopped Spanish olives
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons shaved manchego cheese
Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- For Marinade and Dressing: Combine marinade and dressing ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steaks and 1/4 cup marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for dressing.
- For Steaks and Peppers: Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place steaks and bell peppers on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill steaks, uncovered, 9 to 11 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
- Grill peppers, covered, 7 to 10 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- A few minutes before steaks are done, place bread slices on grid. Grill until lightly toasted, turning once. Cut 1 end off garlic clove; rub cut end evenly over both sides of toasted bread.
- Carve steak into thin slices; season with salt and black pepper, as desired.
- Dice bell peppers.
- To Assemble "Parfaits": Place 1 bread slice upright in each of 6 (1 cup) martini glasses or straight-sided glasses. Layer with equal amounts of spinach, peppers, steak, olives, chopped cilantro and reserved dressing. Top with cheese shavings. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.