Tomato and Avocado-Goat Cheese Crostini
This tomato, avocado and goat cheese crostini makes a quick and elegant appetizer.
1 French baguette bread
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 ripe avocados
4 ounces mild goat cheese - Chevre
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced 1/4-inch
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup basil, fresh chopped
Small fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Slice bread into 1/4-inch thick diagonal slices.
- In small bowl, combine garlic and olive oil.
- Brush bread slices lightly with garlic oil.
- Arrange on sheet pans in single layer.
- Bake crostini for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven and let cool. (These can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container. Be sure to let cool completely before storing.)
- In bowl combine avocado, goat cheese and salt. Mix until smooth. (To make in advance, save avocado pit and bury in mixture to prevent browning.)
- In separate bowl, combine tomato, extra virgin olive oil, salt , pepper and basil.
- To serve, spread each crostini with about 1 tablespoon of avocado mixture, then top with tomato-basil mixture. Garnish with small basil leaves if desired.
Makes 35 to 40 crostini.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Tomato Commission.