White Bean Bruschetta
A classic Mediterranean appetizer featuring thin slices of toasted bread topped with lightly mashed white beans seasoned with fresh herbs and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.
Recipe Ingredients:1 loaf French or sourdough baguette
1 cup white beans, cooked and lightly mashed*
1 tomato, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil and/or flat leaf parsley
2 cloves garlic - divided use
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
Chopped fresh basil and/or flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Cut baguette into 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick slices. Place on baking sheet, brush with a little olive oil and broil until just toasted.
- Cut 1 clove garlic in half and rub toasted bread with the cut side.
- Mix together white beans with tomato. Add chopped basil or parsley, or a combination of both.
- Crush remaining clove of garlic and mix with the olive oil and vinegar. Add to bean mixture.
- Mound bean mixture onto toasted baguette slices and drizzle with olive oil. Garnish with parsley or basil and serve.
Makes about 12 appetizer servings.
*If using canned, drain and rinse well.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Calbeans.org.