Recipe courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup North Carolina Sweet Potatoes, cooked and mashed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup raisins or dates
1/2 cup bran flakes, crushed
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
- In electric mixer bowl, beat together sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add sweet potatoes and vanilla extract and beat well to blend.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.
- With mixer at low speed, gradually add dry ingredients to sweet potato mixture; beat until well blended. Stir in raisins.
- Spread mixture into an 11x9x2-inch greased baking pan.
- In bowl, blend melted butter and bran flakes. Sprinkle over batter in baking pans; pat gently.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- In small bowl, combine powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over cooled bars. Cut into bars or diamonds.
Makes 60 bars.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/60 of recipe): Calories: 108; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Total Carbs: 18g; Protein: 1g; Sodium: 82mg; Potassium: 59mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.