A simple crumb apricot bar, half the dough is pressed into the baking pan, spread with apricot preserves, sprinkled with chopped walnuts and then topped with the remaining dough crumbled on top.
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 large eggs
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup apricot preserves
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, shortening and eggs. Stir in flour, salt and baking powder, mixing well.
- Divide the dough in half. Spread half of dough in prepared baking pan. Spread preserves over dough. Sprinkle walnuts over preserves, if desired and then sprinkle the cinnamon on top.
- Crumble second half of dough and spread evenly over top. Press down gently.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Cool and cut into squares.
Makes 24 Bars.