Banana Bars with Browned Butter Frosting
The browned butter frosting perfectly compliments these moist banana bars.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 large)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Browned Butter Frosting:
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk
- For Banana Bars: Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease and flour a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, nuts, salt and baking soda; set aside.
- Cream the sugar, sour cream, butter and eggs in large mixing bowl on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, for 1 minute.
- Add bananas and vanilla and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour mixture, just to blend well. Spread dough in prepared baking pan. Bake until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack and the frost with Browned Butter Frosting. Cut into about 2 x 1 1/2-inch bars.
- For Browned Butter Frosting: In medium saucepan, heat butter over medium heat until delicate brown; remove from heat. Beat in the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth and of spreading consistency.
Makes 48 bars.