Buttery Oatmeal Turtle Bars
A buttery, oat shortbread cookie bar topped with a luscious caramel layer, pecans and swirls of chocolate.
1 cup butter, softened - divided use
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cup whole pecans
2 (4-ounce) bars sweet baking chocolate
- For caramel topping, combine 1/2 cup of the butter and 2/3 cup brown sugar in heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until entire surface of mixture is boiling. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Set aside.
- Combine flour, rolled oats, 3/4 cup brown sugar and remaining 1/2 cup butter. Mix until well-blended. Pat firmly into ungreased 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Sprinkle with pecans. Pour caramel topping evenly over pecans and crust.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) until caramel is bubbly, about 15 to 18 minutes.
- Break chocolate into 1-inch chunks. Sprinkle evenly over caramel layer. Bake 1 minute longer to allow chocolate to melt.
- Swirl chocolate for a marbled effect. Cool slightly, then chill to set chocolate. Cut into bars.
Makes 24 bars.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.