California Walnut Turtle Squares
Dessert lovers will rave when you serve these nutty caramel bars on the sweet table. Or, pack some of them into a pretty festive tin for a gift with a personal touch.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups California Walnut halves
25 soft caramel candies
1 tablespoon heavy cream
3/4 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- In medium bowl, mix together flour and sugar; blend in butter until crumbly. Press into ungreased 13x9x2-inch pan, lined with heavy-duty foil. Spread walnuts in one layer over dough.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until walnuts are lightly toasted and base is lightly browned on edges. Remove from oven; set aside.
- In medium saucepan, combine unwrapped caramels and cream. Warm over medium to low heat, stirring constantly, until caramels melt.
- Immediately drizzle caramel mixture over nuts.
- Scatter chocolate chips over top; let stand 2 to 3 minutes.
- Swirl through chocolate with knife; allow to cool before cutting into bars.
Makes 48 squares.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Walnuts.