Cheddar Crunch Apple Squares
For the perfect accompaniment, serve these cheddar apple cookie squares with cinnamon-flavored ice cream.
1 (12-ounce) box vanilla wafers (or 3 1/3 cups vanilla wafer crumbs)
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
2 (21-ounce) cans apple pie filling
Cinnamon ice cream or warmed honey, for accompaniment
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Make the vanilla wafer crumbs in a food processor or with a rolling pin and combine with the coconut, cinnamon, cheese, and butter to form a crumbly mixture. Press half of this mixture firmly into the bottom of a greased 13x9x2-inch inch baking pan.
- Spread the apple pie filling on top of the bottom crust. Top with the remaining crumb mixture; do not press down.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack. Place the rack in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- To serve, cut into 2-inch squares. Serve with the ice cream or warmed honey.
Makes 24 squares.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.