Cherry Marzipan Brownies
These brownies are rich with cherry, almond and chocolate -- a dessert worthy to be served with a cup of Viennese café.
1/2 cup chopped dried tart cherries
2 tablespoons cherry liqueur
9 (1-ounce) squares semisweet baking chocolate
7 ounces marzipan (almond paste)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Heat cherries and liqueur in a small saucepan over medium heat almost to a boil. Remove from heat and cover. Set aside.
- In the top of a double boiler, melt chocolate over simmering water; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, blend marzipan, butter and sugar; beat until smooth. Mix in eggs, one at a time, then add vanilla and stir until blended. Add flour and salt and beat until well mixed. Stir in melted chocolate to combine. Add cherry mixture and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish, spreading evenly. Bake 25 minutes or until the center is set. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting.
Makes 24 brownies.