Cherry Oatmeal Bars
Your family will love these chewy, homemade fruit bars. For variety, try a blueberry or apple filling.
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Beat shortening, brown sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in flour and salt. Divide mixture in half.
- Press one half into a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Bake 10 minutes; Let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining half of the flour mixture with the oatmeal; mix well.
- Spread cherry pie filling over cooled crust. Spread oatmeal mixture over the cherry filling and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until filling is heated and topping is lightly browned. Cool before cutting.
Makes 16 bars.