Chewy Fruit Bars
Moist, chewy oat cookie bars made with canned fruit cocktail and dates.
1 cup fruit cocktail, mashed
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup water
- In a blender or food processor, mash fruit cocktail (or any mixed fruit) until fine and smooth. Add eggs and oil. Process until mixed well. Add flour, quick cooking oatmeal (uncooked), and baking powder.
- Grease and flour two 8-inch square baking pans and pour the batter into the pans. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 20 minutes, or until the top is brown and the center is set. While cooling, prepare the date filling.
- Date Filling: Chop dates very fine and combine in a saucepan with water. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the brownie from the pan, spread the date filling on one, and top with the remaining half. Cut into bars.
Makes 16 bars.