Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
A layer bar that combines a trio of yummy flavors, chocolate, peanut butter and marshmallow with a nice crunch in the topping from the addition of crisp rice cereal. A sure hit at picnics, potlucks, in brown bag lunches or as an after-school treat.
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
4 cups miniature marshmallows
1 1/3 cups (8-ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups crisp rice cereal
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 17 x 11 x 1-inch baking pan (jelly roll pan); set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar; add the eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Stir in flour mixture until just mixed; fold in nuts, if using. Spread in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle marshmallows evenly over top; return to oven for about 2 to 3 minutes or until marshmallows are melted.
- Dip a metal spatula in water and spread the melted marshmallows evenly over entire bar-base. Cool.
- For topping, combine chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter in a double boiler and melt over simmering water. Stir in cereal. Spread over bars. Allow chocolate to firm before cutting into bars. If desired, chill to speed up the process.
Makes 36 bars.