Chocolate-Peppermint Layer Bars
Festive chocolate brownie bars topped with a peppermint-flavored frosting and a decorative drizzle of chocolate.
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup plus 5 tablespoons butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons whipping cream
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 drops green food coloring, optional
1/3 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch square pan.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate with 1/2 cup butter over low heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs until thick and creamy. Stir in almonds, flour and cooled chocolate mixture until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons butter, cream and peppermint extract in a medium bowl. Beat until smooth. Add food coloring, if using, and mix until color is evenly distributed. Spread icing over cooled cookie layer. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate chips and remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Drizzle over mint icing. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
Makes 12 bars.
Recipe is property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.