Chocolate Streusel Bars
A cookie bar with a chocolate shortbread crust topped with a layer of vanilla cheesecake and crumb topping.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 cup cold butter or margarine
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and cocoa; mix well. Cut in butter until crumbly (mixture will be dry). Reserve 2 cups crumb mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Pour evenly over baked crust.
- Combine reserved crumb mixture with nuts, if desired; sprinkle evenly over cheese mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Cool in pan on wire rack. Chill. Cut into bars. Store covered in refrigerator.
Makes 24 bars.