Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Bake these nut and chocolate-studded biscuits twice to make them crunchy enough for dunking in your favorite hot drink. These make great gifts and ship beautifully for those long-distance friends.
1 (12-ounce) package NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels - divided use
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 large eggs
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease 1 large or 2 small baking sheet(s).
- Microwave 1 cup morsels in small, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10 to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract and almond extract until crumbly. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in melted chocolate. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in nuts. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Shape dough with floured hands into two 9 x 3-inch logs on prepared baking sheet(s).
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center of each log comes out clean. Cool on baking sheets for 15 minutes. Slide logs onto cutting board and cut diagonally into 3/4-inch slices. Return to baking sheet(s) cut side down. Bake turning biscotti over halfway through, for 20 minutes or until dry. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Line baking sheet(s) with waxed paper.
- Dip biscotti halfway into Chocolate Coating, pushing mixture up with a spatula; shake off excess. Place on prepared baking sheet(s). Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until chocolate is set. Store in airtight containers in cool place or in refrigerator.
- For Chocolate Coating: Microwave remaining morsels and 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening in medium, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at 10 to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
Makes 30 biscotti.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.