Chocolate Date Bars
Oat-date bars studded with miniature semisweet chocolate chips and sweetened with pure golden honey.
1 1/4 cups hot water
8 ounces chopped pitted dates
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda - divided use
3/4 cup liquid honey
1/4 cup soft butter or margarine
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup rolled (quick) oats
1 (12-ounce) package miniature chocolate chips (2 cups) - divided use
1 cup chopped nuts
- Simmer water, dates and 1 teaspoon soda together in saucepan for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream honey with butter until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon soda. Blend into creamed mixture.
- Stir in dates and liquid, vanilla, rolled oats one half the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips and the nuts over top.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Cool before cutting into bars.
Makes 24 bars.
Recipe courtesy of the National Honey Board.